Especially through the year 2020, podcasts were like people I had in my corner as I began to build on the idea of Affinity Studios. I sought out podcasts to guide me through this new entrepreneurial venture or to occupy my mind and learn new things outside of my industry. Whatever I needed- encouragement or distraction, podcasts are what got me through. Below are some of my favorites.
P.S. I like to listen to my podcasts in chronological order, so I actually start with the first podcast, not the most recent.
- Goal Digger Podcast – The host of the show is named Jenna Kutcher. She’s a photographer and an inspiring and successful entrepreneur. One of the things I love is that she encourages entrepreneurs to serve instead of sell. So rather than just selling a product, she encourages her listeners to consider finding opportunities to share knowledge with our customers for free in order to build trust and start conversations. Being a Rotarian, shifting to a service mindset in my business was a no-brainer.
- The Motivated Mind – These episodes are short and I really enjoyed the motivational peptalk. That’s basically what it is. Scott Lynch, the host, offers neat perspectives and reflections that helped me get hyped when I might have been stuck in a rut or having a slow day.
- The Honest Designers Podcast – This podcast was the beginning of it all- what convinced me that I was going to open Affinity Studios. The hosts, Tom Ross, Ian Barnard, Dustin Lee and Lisa Glanz, would have very candid conversations about being a freelance designer and entrepreneur. They’d talk about the struggles but every single time they would say that it was all worth it. No matter how discouraging their experiences were or how hopeless, they would look back and recognize that there was such much more good that has come with being an entrepreneur and I was encouraged to take that leap.
- The Accidental Creative – I actually read The Accidental Creative book by the podcast host, Todd Henry. It was an incredibly motivating book as the podcast is. I classify it under that motivational pep-talk sort of podcast like The Motivated Mind. Todd interviews artists, authors and business leaders, and offers tips for how to thrive in life and work.
- Boom/Bust: HQ Trivia – This one is a random non-business book but I binged it because I had recently wondered what happened with the HQ Trivia app. I use to pay it until I realized I sucked at trivia and would never win money. This investigative podcast about the rise and fall of HQ Trivia was so interesting. I thought it was even interesting from a business perspective and had some cautionary notes about growing too big too fast. If you are a trivia fan and/or knew about the app, I’d give it a listen. There were some really interesting things happening behind the scenes.
So those are my top 5 for the year. What were you listening to?