Just how important is SEO?
The benefits of SEO are immense, especially when you’re running a small business on a budget. Yes, that’s right. You can pull effective DIY SEO strategies even on a budget. Some of the benefits of an optimized web presence include;
- Higher ranking on search engines
- Increased leads through organic search (more conversions)
- Improved brand awareness
- Reduction in marketing costs
- Improved user experience (low bounce rate)
- Increased business credibility
- Gaining a competitive advantage
This article will discuss seven easy DIY ways to boost your SEO and enjoy these and more benefits. Let’s dive in.
How to Improve Your SEO on a Budget
1. Strategic Keyword Use
We cannot overemphasize the importance of keywords. Essentially, keywords help direct users searching for relevant services to your site. How does this happen? When a prospect enters a search query on Google, Bing, Yahoo, etc., the engine crawls the web for sites with services/products relevant to what the customer is searching.
For this reason, it’s crucial to build your site with industry-related keywords to increase your discoverability by the search engines. However, sprucing the website with too many keywords (stuffing) can harm your ranking. Instead, inserting them naturally into the content can help avoid being penalized.
Some of the areas to employ keywords include;
- Site URL
- Page Title
- Page content
- Meta descriptions
2. Conduct Keyword Research
You can brainstorm on several industry-relevant keywords off-head. However, this isn’t a strategic way of creating your list of site keywords. The best way to approach this is by conducting keyword research using readily available tools. For instance, you can use Neil Patel’s Ubersuggest, a free tool, to find the most relevant search terms customers searching for your services use.
Unlike manual brainstorming, keyword research tools provide insightful information on the target search terms’ popularity and search volume, in line with the customer’s search intent. To help nail the research, here are some steps you should follow;
- List the services your business offers
- Brainstorm on relevant search terms people would use to search for the listed services
- Plug in the keywords on the tool for an in-depth analysis of related terms and their search volume
- You can also find related search terms on Google’s search result pages (when you enter a search query, the related searches appear at the bottom of the page)
- Analyze the search intent of the customer for each of the queries for relevant application
Important things to remember:
- Always employ a mix of both long-term and short-term keywords
- Never lose focus on the three most essential goals in keyword research – relevance, authority, search intent
3. Ensure You Have an SSL Certificate
SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) certificate is a website’s identity authentication that guarantees a secure connection. Essentially, SSL encrypts the link between a web browser and the server, ensuring the privacy of the transmitted data. This means if a hacker intercepts the data web visitors shares on your website (such as credit card details), they cannot decrypt it as it’s locked with a private key.
How does this affect SEO?
Acquiring an SSL certificate gives your website an HTTPS (Hypertext Transfer Protocol Secure) identity. Effectively, Google uses HTTPS as a ranking signal. Earlier analysis on top-ranking domains proved that over 90% of them had implemented HTTPS. Moreover, SSL gives your website visitors confidence that the data they provide is secure, which helps increase user experience and site credibility.
4. Optimize Website for Mobile
Research indicates that mobile accounts for more than 55% of search queries. This means that if your website is not mobile responsive, you stand to lose many potential leads as poor user experience increases bounce rate.
On the contrary, optimizing the site for mobile can lead to a better ranking on SERPs (search engine result pages). For instance, search giant, Google, interprets a low bounce rate to indicate that your site has valuable content, hence indexes it more.
To optimize your site, ensure you run a mobile-friendliness test, then implement the suggested hacks to increase usability, speed, and other fixes.
5. Your Images.
Images are an excellent piece of content as most web users prefer visual content over text. However, raw images consume large storage space, which slows page loading speed. By optimizing the images, you can increase the page load speeds and enhance discoverability. Below are some fixes to optimize the images for SEO.
- Resize the images
- Include a keyword in the image file name
- Add keyword on the image title
- Insert keyword in the image alt tags
- Add a caption to images
- Ensure the images are relevant to the page content
6. Register Your Business With Google My Business
If you haven’t registered your business with Google My Business (GMB), you could be losing a substantial amount of local traffic. Statistics indicate that 46% of search queries on Google are local-oriented.
GMB is an essential tool for optimizing your online presence for local searches. Effectively, optimized local SEO increases the chances of appearing on the map pack or first-page results when someone searches for local services.
The process of creating and optimizing your GMB is pretty simple. You can achieve it by following the steps below.
- Create your GMB profile
- Fill all the fields with consistent and accurate business details
- Upload regular engaging content (quotes, photos, videos, images, infographics, etc.)
- Share offers and specials
- Encourage reviews from past customers
- Respond to both positive and negative reviews
7. Be Consistent but Patient
Even after implementing all the best practices, things might persist being slow, tempting you to give up and invest your efforts elsewhere. But you shouldn’t. SEO efforts do pay. However, the results do not show overnight.
Implementing an effective SEO strategy calls for consistency and patience. Once you have taken the initial optimization steps we have discussed above, it’s essential to keep reviewing your site performance from time to time. For instance, the tool we mentioned earlier, Ubersuggest, can help identify SEO issues on your website and suggest how to fix them.
Another way of enhancing your SEO is by uploading regular content to engage your existing audience and attract new ones. Moreover, frequent sharing of valuable content helps improve your ranking on search engines.
Step Up Your SEO Today
A robust SEO strategy can help your business secure a constant flow of leads. And the good thing is that you can roll it out even on a budget using easy DIY tips, as illustrated above. However, don’t hesitate to request help in case you get stuck at any point. Affinity Studios is here to answer all your digital marketing questions, besides providing reliable custom solutions.